Welcome to the Summit Mommies' Blog

This is a blog for all us to find out what is going on!
It's a bulletin board of our lives. Park day? Lunch date? GNO? Need a babysitter? Any other fun announcements? Post them here.

Friday, March 6, 2009

Healthy Habits Challenge

Any takers? Email me if you want to participate!

You have been challenged live the following habits for the next 12 weeks! The idea of the Healthy Habits Challenge is to motivate each other to develop 10 healthy lifestyle habits.

To participate you score yourself "on your honor" every day and then each week send in the number of points you have earned to me. I'll send out a weekly email with point totals for all participants. You can earn up to 10 points per day. Sundays are days off- you get to take a break with no points earned/lost. The person with the most points in the end wins a small prize! (C'mon- do I look like I'm made of money?)

The competition runs March 9 - May 30. Let me know if you plan to participate by emailing me by March 7th. I'll send out more information to the "contenders".

Daily Habits (1 point each)
1. 7 hours of sleep (not necessarily consecutive--naps count too)
2. 30 minutes of exercise (not necessarily consecutive)
3. No sweets/unhealthy snacks
4. 64 oz. of water
5. 3 servings of veggies, 2 servings of fruit
6. No soda
7. No eating after 8:00 PM
8. 15 minutes of scripture reading
9. One journal entry in the journal type of your choice (personal, blog, etc.)
10. Choose you own habit (flossing, prayer, service, etc.)

For those of you who are pregnant or nursing:
You may eat after 8 pm if you have an extra serving of fruit or vegetables that day.

GOOD LUCK!

PS- I did this about a year ago and it was a very good, challenging experience. I may have complained here and there (I'm hoping you all have very short memories), but it ended up really being a good thing for me. Obviously enough that I want to do it again. The friend who sent out the challenge did it to lose weight and she lost 10 lbs. I did this as I trained for a marathon (so I figured I'd get the exercise in "easy") and it to see how disciplined I could be- it was a challenge and it changed my perspective on a lot of things. I'm sure glad for the weeks of journal entries. If you end up doing it we'll have to talk at the end of the 12 weeks!

10 comments:

Kimberly said...

Count me in...I like "challenges" like this - it totally helps if others do it too.

Dana said...

Me too! Can't say that starting some new healthy habits would be a bad thing!!!

Dana Gustafson

Melissa said...

I am in! I need to get rid of my sweet tooth!

Mandy Lowry said...

Ok, just working night shifts automatically disqualifies me. Bummer! Have fun for those doing it!

Wendy and Scott said...

I'll do it! But I know the soda is going to loose me a lot of points. It will be fun.

DeeDee said...

I'm in. It is a big challenge but I'm going to try. Dawn

Megan said...

I'm in too!

Megan said...

I'm in too. Thanks for giving us Sundays off! :)

Jessica Brunson said...

I'm in!

chelsea and brett said...

I will try the challenge as well...